Personal contact information we collect and what we do with it
When you are making a donation, purchasing a product, expressing an interest in referring a wish child, contributing to our guest book, or subscribing to our online newsletter, we ask you for personal contact information such as your name, mailing address, phone number and e-mail address. We may use this contact information to provide you with a receipt or financial report; to contact you to clarify or obtain information about an order you placed, a donation you made, or a wish child you have referred; or to send you additional information about Make-A-Wish.
If you make a donation, we may contact you from time to time to offer you an opportunity to make another gift, or to offer services from third parties that will directly benefit Make-A-Wish (e.g., a Make-A-Wish affinity credit card).
Personal contact information may also be shared with our agents, i.e., reputable companies we use for services such as shipping Make-A-Wish products or sending Make-A-Wish mail. We have confidentiality agreements in place with all such agents to protect your privacy.
Personal billing information we collect and what we do with it
In addition to personal contact information, we ask for billing information, such as your billing address and credit card number, when you make a donation or purchase a product. We use secure servers to gather and process your billing information. These secure servers are hosted by our agent, CharityWeb, which is bound by our site policies. Your billing information is not shared with any other organizations, and your credit card number is not retained once your transaction has been authorized and processed.
Other contact information we collect and what we do with it
In some instances, we ask for contact information for people other than yourself including, for example, e-mail addresses of friends to whom you send e-cards or a copy of one of our Web pages, or the mailing address of someone you wish us to notify of a donation you have made. The information we collect is used to send the donation notification or information you requested and/or to inform the recipient of Make-A-Wish updates, wish stories and opportunities to get involved. Such contact information is not shared with any other organizations.
How to view or change your information
If you do not wish to participate in our list rental or exchange activities, or if you wish to modify the frequency of future communications from Make-A-Wish, please write to us at our headquarters address below.
With the exception of credit card numbers, which are not retained, you can view and request changes to all the information you have given us, including any mailing lists you may be on, by contacting us in one of two ways: You can either e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can send a letter addressed to:
Make-A-Wish Eastern North Carolina
Attention: Donor Care
3809 Computer Drive, Suite 201
Raleigh, NC 27609
Your IP address, cookies and plug-ins
For each visitor to our Web site, our Web server automatically recognizes the visitor’s IP address, although no personally identifiable information (such as e-mail addresses) is recognized by the server. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our Web site. Your IP address may also be used to gather broad demographic information. Occasionally, we may use session cookies to improve content, provide easier access and understand how visitors use our Web site. Session cookies are also used to support our e-commerce pages. Our Web site does not include stand-alone or plug-in applications that report individually identifiable information back to us or to any other organization.
Links to other sites
With respect to children, Make-A-Wish only collects personally identifiable contact information from children who are referring themselves as potential wish children. We pass that information on to the child’s local Make-A-Wish chapter so the chapter can contact the child’s family to make an assessment of wish eligibility; however, we do not share it in any other way or with any other parties. We do not give the ability to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information in any way.
Changes to this policy
Financial transactions and our secure servers
All financial transactions on our Web site, specifically online donations and online purchases, are managed through our agent, CharityWeb, which is TRUSTe certified. All transactions use an encrypted channel, take place on secure servers and occur in real time. No financial data, such as your credit card number, is transferred via a less-secure channel, such as encrypted e-mail, for processing. Moreover, once your transaction has been completed, your credit card number is not retained.
By viewing and/or using this Web site, you are agreeing to all of the terms and conditions explained below.
1. This World Wide Web site with its home page in the domains “wish.org” and “makeawish.org” (the “Web site”) is a complimentary information service offered by Make-A-Wish of America (”The Foundation”) at no charge to you as a user of the World Wide Web, with the express condition that you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth in this User Agreement. The Foundation reserves the right to change these terms and conditions any time, and you must consult the most recent version of this User Agreement (not an older cached version) each time you view the Web site. Do not use the Web site if you do not agree to all of the following terms and conditions.
2. You agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth under the Service Marks, Copyright, and Hyperlinks sections of this Site Notice.
3. You acknowledge that the information on the Web site is provided “as is” for general information only. The Foundation makes no warranties of any kind regarding this Web site, including but not limited to any warranty of accuracy, completeness, currency, reliability, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, or any warranty that these pages, or the server that makes them available, are free of viruses or other harmful elements, and such warranties are expressly disclaimed.
4. You agree that you will hold harmless The Foundation and its officers, directors and employees from all claims arising out of or related to your access or use of, or your inability to access or use, this Web site or the information contained in this Web site or other Web sites to which it is linked, including but not limited to claims that you have found something you have heard, viewed or downloaded from this Web site or another Web site to which it is linked to be obscene, offensive, defamatory or infringing upon your intellectual property rights. In no event will The Foundation or the contributors of information to this Web site be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on such information or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
5. You acknowledge that opinions and recommendations contained in this Web site are not necessarily those of The Foundation or endorsed by The Foundation.
6. The Foundation may provide links on the Web site to other Web sites which are not under the control of The Foundation. These links are provided for convenience of reference only and are not intended as an endorsement by The Foundation of the organization or individual operating the Web site or a warranty of any type regarding the Web site or the information on the Web site.
7. This Web site (excluding linked sites) is controlled by The Foundation, which is headquartered in the State of Arizona, United States of America. It can be accessed from all 50 states, as well as United States Territories and other countries around the world. As each of these places has laws that may differ from those of Arizona, by accessing this Web site both you and The Foundation agree that the statutes and laws of the State of Arizona, without regard to conflicts of law principles thereof, will apply to all matters arising from or relating to use of this Web site. You and The Foundation also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the Superior Court of the State of Arizona in and for the County of Maricopa, the United States District Court for Arizona with respect to such matters. The Foundation makes no representation that materials on the Web site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this Web site from other locations do so of their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
The works of authorship contained in this Web site, including but not limited to all design, text and images, are owned or licensed by Make-A-Wish of America and may not be copied, reproduced, transmitted, displayed, performed, distributed, rented, sublicensed, altered, stored by subsequent use, or otherwise used in whole or in part in any manner without our prior written consent, except that you may make such temporary copies in a single computer’s RAM and hard drive cache as are necessary to browse the Web site, and you may make one permanent printout of each page of the Web site (unmodified in form, with a copy of this Site Notice attached) to be used by you for personal and non-commercial uses that do not harm the reputation of Make-A-Wish.
You may provide a hypertext link to this Web site on another Web site, provided that:
(a) the link must be an active, text-only link (you may NOT use our logo without prior written approval) clearly marked “Make-A-Wish of America”;
(b) the link must “point” to the URL “http://www.eastncwish.org” and not to other pages within the Web site;
(c) the link, when activated by a user, must display this Web site full-screen and not within a “frame” on the linked Web site;
(d) the appearance, position and other aspects of the link may not be such as to disparage Make-A-Wish of America or its services, damage or dilute the goodwill associated with the Make-A-Wish name and service marks, or to create the false appearance that an entity other than Make-A-Wish is associated with or sponsored by Make-A-Wish;
(e) the link may not be associated with the sale of any products or services, or the promotion of any lottery, raffle, sweepstakes or other games of chance benefiting Make-A-Wish; and
(f) the link will not appear on pages including content which Make-A-Wish of America finds in its sole discretion to be objectionable or which includes obscene, pornographic, violent, intolerant, tasteless, denigrating or sexually-oriented content or materials; and
(g) Make-A-Wish of America reserves the right to revoke its consent to the link at any time in its sole discretion by amending this Site Notice. You acknowledge and agree that you are responsible for keeping up with any such changes.
All other hypertext links to this Web site must be approved in writing by Make-A-Wish of America. Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.
Use of a hyperlink does not indicate or create any endorsement, approval, sponsorship or affiliation of or with your Web site by Make-A-Wish of America. This permission to hyperlink is provided without warranties of any kind, express or implied, including without limitation, warranties of title of non-infringement.
Make-A-Wish of America reserves the right to take action against any use of its service marks or any links to its Web site that do not conform to the conditions herein, or that infringe any intellectual property or other rights of Make-A-Wish of America.
Make-A-Wish Eastern North Carolina
3809 Computer Drive
Raleigh, NC 27609